Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Jesus said to the chief priests and the elders of the people:
“What is your opinion? 
A man had two sons. 
He came to the first and said,
‘Son, go out and work in the vineyard today.’ 
The son said in reply, ‘I will not,’
but afterwards he changed his mind and went. 
The man came to the other son and gave the same order. 
He said in reply, ‘Yes, sir,’ but did not go. 
Which of the two did his father’s will?” 
They answered, “The first.” 
Jesus said to them, “Amen, I say to you,
tax collectors and prostitutes
are entering the Kingdom of God before you. 
When John came to you in the way of righteousness,
you did not believe him;
but tax collectors and prostitutes did. 
Yet even when you saw that,
you did not later change your minds and believe him.”

Matthew 21:28-32


That is today's Gospel reading.  This is one of the readings which I'd rather not read.  Not because it is particularly difficult to understand, or because is seems to contradict other scripture, but because it cuts.  The message is pretty clear, and it indicates my guilt.  Which son am I?  


I am generally the second son.  I hear what I am supposed to do.  I say I will do it.  I intend to do it, but I fail.  This is is a common story in my life.  Sometimes I fail in bigger ways than others, but the failure is common.  I am not going to confess my sins in this forum, but don't most sins fit this pattern?  We know what we are supposed to do, God has shown us.  We know, and we intend to follow God's will.  But we don't.  That's what sin is. 


It is easy for me to think in hypotheticals.  I can comfortably contemplate what God wants me to do.  I can listen to scripture, and listen to good preaching and know beyond any doubt that God has spoken to me directly and still go about my business unchanged.  When the Lord tells me to work in the vineyard, do I go to work?  The future is so much easier to moralize than the present.  'I will do what God tells me to do,' is easy to say.  It is much harder to follow through, and I often do not.  


Jesus goes on after his question about the sons.  “Amen, I say to you, tax collectors and prostitutes are entering the Kingdom of God before you."  


Wait, really?  But my sins are more trivial.  I know I should begin every morning with prayer.  I also know that I can sleep a little later if I don't.  I sleep in.  I know I should not lose my temper, but I do.  There is more, but surely I am better off than a prostitute.


Jesus says, then refers to John the Baptist.  Remember John's call?  Repent!  There lies both the problem and the solution.  We are sinners.  As often as we repudiate our sins, we are not perfect.  Jesus offers forgiveness to even the worst of sinners, when we bring our sins to him.  I am not better than the prostitute.  I am a sinner, unworthy of the forgiveness offered.  It is a gift, not a prize.  


Since it is his feast day, a quote from St. John of the Cross:
"God desires the smallest degree of purity of conscience in you more than all the works you can perform. "


May we always bring our sins before God, and not hide in our dubious merit, that we may be forgiven.  May we always listen, that when we are sent to the vineyard we hear.  May we have the will and strength to go when we are sent.  

No comments:

Post a Comment