Tuesday, December 21, 2010

How does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

Mary set out in those days
and traveled to the hill country in haste
to a town of Judah,
where she entered the house of Zechariah
and greeted Elizabeth. 
When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting,
the infant leaped in her womb,
and Elizabeth, filled with the Holy Spirit,
cried out in a loud voice and said,
“Most blessed are you among women,
and blessed is the fruit of your womb. 
And how does this happen to me,
that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 
For at the moment the sound of your greeting reached my ears,
the infant in my womb leaped for joy. 
Blessed are you who believed
that what was spoken to you by the Lord
would be fulfilled.”



Luke 1:39-45


Have you seen that 'Social Network Christmas' that is all over the internet?  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sghwe4TYY18)  Of the many things about it that I like, one is that is humanizes the events.  The less popular version (at least according to youtube- 300,000 vs over a million page views.) is mainly from Joseph's perspective.  It is very sweet.  I may be a bit biased; Joseph is on of my favorite Saints.  It highlights a very human moment, when Joseph knows that Mary is pregnant, but before he has heard from and Angel.  He knew Mary well, and must have known that she was telling the truth, but who could understand or accept that truth?  


He was a faithful man.  On Sunday, the priest at my Church preached that Joseph was needed the Angel's reassurance, not because he doubted, but because he was humble.  He could not believe that he would be chosen to play such an important role in God's plan.  It is not in scripture, but I prefer to believe it was both.


The video also gives particular prominence to the relationship which Mary and Elizabeth shared.  There is not a lot said about that relationship.  They must have been close, though.  Mary, pregnant, came to visit Elizabeth when Elizabeth who was also pregnant.  Elizabeth was nearing the end of her pregnancy, and Mary was close to the beginning of hers.  I can imagine Mary, young and pregnant, going to help her older cousin.  She would have been helpful, but I imagine she also would have had a lot of questions.  Is this normal?  All mothers ask that question hundreds of times.  Mary's pregnancy was not normal.  I mean, maybe it was in most ways, we don't know.  But the conception was not.  I wonder if she went to Elizabeth, who was also a woman of faith, to ask "Is this normal, or is this a God-pregnancy thing?"


I remember at my first communion, when I took a sip from the chalice, the liquid warmed me.  It seemed to go directly to my heart, and ignite a comfortable glow.  I had been taught well, and I knew that the bread and wine had become the true body of our Lord.  What I did not know was whether that warmth was an accidental of what was once wine, or was is the result of consuming the Lord's flesh.  I wonder how many moments like that Mary had.  


On arriving at her cousin's house, Mary got a beautiful, but not normal, greeting.  Elizabeth called her, "the mother of my Lord."  She is, of course.  But she is also cousin.  Elizabeth's greeting is effusive, but it lack familiarity.  Mary must have struggled enormously.  Some people think she is crazy.  Some think she is a liar.  Some think she is self-righteous.  Even the ones who loved and believed her, looked at her in a new way that was less personal.  I have no doubt that the two women got through the amazement, are were able to go on as family.  Mary did stay for a few months, after all, waiting on Elizabeth.  

John, even before birth, announced Christ.  John leapt in his mother's womb.  If she had any doubt about Mary's miracle, John relieved her of it.  Before he had a voice, he was witness to Jesus.  


The humility of all these people is notable.  Joseph is to humble to accept his role, until God sent an angel to him.  Mary too is humble in her acceptance.  ("Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word." Luke 1:38)  Elizabeth cannot believe that Mary, though her cousin, would come to her.  Hers is a prayer that we can share.  When Mary comes, she helps.  She listens and prays with us.  She prays for us.  She brings us to her Son.


"How does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?"


and she answers, returning our eyes to God, "The Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name.  His mercy is from age to age to those who fear him."


"Give thanks to God, bless his name; good indeed is the LORD, Whose love endures forever, whose faithfulness lasts through every age."  Psalm 100:5

No comments:

Post a Comment