Saturday, December 18, 2010

Dream

I did not write yesterday.  Mea culpa.  I was not home.  I was tempted to write about the Dream Act today, instead of writing about Advent.  I decided that would be tantamount to skipping twice.  So I won't.  


I read the Christmas letter from the Catholic charity, Casa Juan Diego.  They are the Catholic Worker House in Houston, and this is how their letter began.  
"The spirit of Christmas is very important to us. We cannot live without it—the spirit that says that it is better to give than receive—not to receive presents, but be a presence to those in need. We ask your prayers that the spirit of Christmas remain with us not only now, but the year round."
http://www.cjd.org/paper/christma.html


They are in need.  Some years are harder than others, and this year is exceptionally hard for a lot of people.  Years like this really strap the man power and bed space of charities who, like CJD, care for the poor directly. 


When Joseph and Mary arrived in Bethlehem, there was no where for them to stay.  I imagine that some people did have room, but did not think that the plight of these poor migrants was their problem.  I imagine that some people had room, but were unaware of the need.  I could be wrong, of course.  We do not know.  


Mary and Joseph came to Bethlehem out of necessity.  No one travels uncomfortably pregnant and without arranged lodging by choice.  It must have been easy for the people who did find rooms, and the people who lived in the town to judge them.  Who does that?  Why didn't they make better arrangements, or arrangements at all?  It must have been easy to brush them off.  Why should I make a sacrifice to care for people who came less prepared?


When Mary had her baby, her first visitors were strangers.  She was not surrounded by family, or even well wishing neighbors who must have noticed that this pregnant woman needed help.  She had her husband, St. Joseph.  She had her faith.  She gave her fears to God, and did what she had to do, without knowing what would happen.  


The shepherds who came to welcome the new baby were poor.  They had nothing to give, but they came.  It is hard for me to imagine what was going through their minds.  I like to imagine what Mary and Joseph must have thought, though.  These strangers- dirty, straight from the fields- came in love and awe.  It must have been very moving, and also comforting, the love that these men brought.  


What did Jesus say about the final judgement?

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.  For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.'  Then they will answer and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?'  He will answer them, 'Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.'"


We are entering the last week of Advent.  In these last few days we are very excited!  Christmas is almost here!  However, if we fail to notice and care for those in need around us, we may as well skip the holiday.  The words of our Lord are not easy, they are harsh.  But they are clear.  Damnation happens.  People who thought they lived well will go to Hell because they did not see our Lord in the faces of the sick, the ill, the imprisoned, the stranger.  Would you notice Mary and Joseph on your doorstep- dirty, exhausted, poor and in need?  Would you help?  They are there.  Will you help?

No comments:

Post a Comment