Thursday, December 2, 2010

Happy Holidays from Christmasland!

I went shopping today.

I ventured out into Christmasland to find some things I needed.  It was fun!  People were friendly, and the stores are all decorated.  Most people went with the politically correct, "Happy Holidays,"  but I'll take it.  I like greetings.  Christmasland (everywhere, not a real place) is bedecked with miles and miles of lights.  Stores have laid out their best greens and reds.  There are angels and glitter and stars and nativities.  This is Christmasland- and it is not in its full decorated glory yet!

I was looking at Christmas cards and contemplating actually sending out Christmas cards this year.  I found a beautiful red card with an embossed gold angel playing a trumpet.  It was lovely, and tempting.  I opened it and found that the inside read, "Happy holidays!"  Really?  The angel was celebrating some unspecified holiday on a red card in December.

This is one of those inane directives from the consumer.  Not wanting to offend anyone, but trying to capitalize on Christmas, businesses market 'Happy Holidays' merchandise.  I'll be honest, it does not bother me.  As I said, when it comes to well wishes, I'll take what is given.  Still, it seems odd and even disingenuous.  The angel card was clearly a Christmas card.  There are symbols everywhere.  Stores have decorated Christmas trees.  Every inch of adornable space is adorned in green and red.  The card with intricately dressed men pointing to a star in the sky?  Well, I suppose they could be anyone, but odds are most people see a chapter of our beloved nativity tale.  The holly?  The Poinsettias?  The doves carrying peace banners?  Yet calligraphied across each and every symbol it the well meaning, meaningless wish, "Happy holidays!"  No one is fooled.  It is Christmasland.

Sometimes symbols carry more weight than words.

Bearing that in mind, what are you doing for Advent?  (You knew I'd com back to Advent.)  Celebrating Christmas before it happens deemphasizes it in the same way that mislabeling all the merchandise does.  It cannot actually undermine the holiday, but it cheapens our experience.  It dulls poignancy with irrelevancies.  Christmas is not about the parties or well wishes or magic.  It is a celebration of God's revelation of love, and his invitation to us to share in it.  Enjoy the parties, wish everyone well, and hope for magic.  But don't miss the Holy day for a holiday.

"Wait for the Lord, take courage; be stouthearted, wait for the Lord!"  Psalm 27:14

He is coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment