Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Comfort

When I received my first communion, I was a lector.  I was in second grade.  The catechists in charge had decided that in order to make the liturgy more meaningful to the children, they would let us participate in a more active way than is usual.  So everyone got a job.  I read the first three verses from Isaiah 40.  These were the first verses I memorized.  I was very proud, and decided that those verses were my favorite in all of scripture.  


About twenty years later, they still are.  Isaiah's verses still move me.  


"Comfort, give comfort to my people,
says your God.
Speak tenderly to Jerusalem, and proclaim to her
that her service is at an end,
her guilt is expiated"  Isaiah 40:1-2


How beautifully and sweetly Isaiah delivers God's word to his people.  At the time, they were enslaved.  their suffering was real.  


I don't go to confession as often as I probably should.  The bare minimum required of a Catholic, I am pretty sure, is once a year.  I try to go twice: during Advent and during Lent.  When I go, I am often moved tears.  I do not deserve this grace.  Who is this God, this awesome, powerful, majesty, who cares so much for me?  Who am I to merit such a personal and deep love?  


I know, the verse came to my head because it is the verse which I know best.  Still, the verse comforted me enormously.  I know that God is speaking to me.  My sins are forgiven.  The first time I cried after confession, God gave me this verse, and it felt like a hug.  The verse took on a different and very personal meaning.  I understand that the verse says, "God will get you out of slavery, Israel."  What I heard was, "Beth, I love you.  Accept my gift of forgiveness."  

No comments:

Post a Comment